Monday, November 5, 2007

Customer Service must be Engraved on my Forehead

Do you ever feel like the "Gods" are trying to tell you something? Does something happen to you on so often that you begin to wonder if the plan you put together for yourself is seriously flawed? After last week I'm really starting to wonder.

Most of my travel week consists of stringing meetings together and hopping from office park to office park. My clients are financial advisors and their clients. Most advisors would incorrectly refer to me as a wholesaler. Many of the day to day activities are the same but the one very big difference is I don't represent on particular product or company. I'm kind of one stop shopping for a whole breath of different financial products. Now that you are totally bored I will move on. For some reason I feel like I need to paint an occupational picture in order for this to all make sense.

The one great thing about traveling about daily is what you can get done in-between meetings. I can't tell you how many times my wife has called asking me pick something up or go on some trek on her behalf.

Spousal Unit: Hi Honey can you ......get milk, dog/cat food, cigarettes, stop into a store and exchange something, drop a check off, drop or pick up movies, and my favorite.....I found this place on the internet can you??????? I kind of become her only personally DHL (Designated Husband Lackey). Either you go or she goes when you get home. I find it easier to comply since I'm a master of locating and retrieving.

The things that use to drive me nuts are what happen to me during the work day going into these different stores. For some reason, no matter what store I'm in, other consumers always ask me for help in some way shape or form. I even had one employee ask if she could go on lunch break. I normally fancy a white shirt, tie and half a suit. When asked I use to laugh and then correct those needy consumers and direct them to the actual help. I'm tired, so as of late I've been taking the route of lease resistance. When someone asks me for help......that’s right....I help them. So as you can imagine this has lead to some great stories.....and I don't know where to begin....so I will just pick one. I was asked for help over the last 2 weeks in..... Verizon, Best Buy, Target, Borders Books, Pet Smart, Boston Market, Dick's Sporting Goods and the Glastonbury Town Library.

MY ADVENTURE AT NORDSTROMS

Some friends of ours purchased some beautiful baby gifts at Nordstrom’s for Evie. Unfortunately, the sizes were a little small and the items needed to be returned. I quickly volunteered to return the items. Mary always has a lot on her plate so I wanted to be helpful.....yeah right and I'll tell you another. Let me see....new baby + Mary Shopping at Nordstrom’s = More $$$ Spent that shouldn't be. I will admit Mary is wonderful about not spending $$$ when not needed. Lets face it.....Mary going to Nordstrom’s is like Anakin resisting the dark side.....and we all know how that worked out.
I entered the store and immediately headed to the kids department. I was greeted by 2 very friendly young ladies that helped me exchange the clothes for something else. This was a quick and painless process and then I headed into the mall to grab a cup of coffee. When I returned I was stopped by a frantic women next to the men's department. She wanted me to know that she couldn’t find anyone to help her and she needs help looking for a suit for her son. I gave her the classic "Shit Eating Grin”....kind of like the one on the front page of this blog. Behind her was this thin meek fellow that didn't want to be here. I going out on a limb here but I think he wanted to be home playing World of War Craft or some other video game. So I looked at her and her son and told them to come with me I would assist them. She was going on and on about her son being honored for some type of award and all the nonsense he had to go through to get it. OK....first suit for junior....and I hope he moves far way to college. Mom is a nice lady but I suspect that junior has been groomed to be one of those over achievers. I love to be there when he has his first beer. Sorry....I digress...back to the story.
There was another sales person in the suit area very focused on helping a client. We didn’t even get a glance as we entered the department. I've purchased several suits to date so I new the whole process. I asked him how tall he was, and pants size. I looked at junior and asked him what type of suit he was looking for.....junior looked at me as if I asked him to spell a word, that he couldn't spell, at his last spelling bee. Mom chimes in with her 2 cents about something that will make her son look handsome. I almost pissed myself and I said "I sure your son will look handsome in any of these suits". He wasn't a bad looking kid just a little out of his element. So I grabbed 3 suits (I liked) off the rack and helped junior into the jackets of each one to see how it looked. As he put on each suit I gave them a little run down on the maker and quality of the suit. The good news is that all the suits offered at Nordstrom’s are of a high quality. I didn't want all of you to think me trying to sell them a bad product. I would have purchased any of the three suits I recommended. The jackets all fit fine and needed to be taken in just a little on the sleeves. Mom asked me some stupid questions like....will we help tailor the suit? I can see she has shopped here for suits before....not!!! He also tried on the pants and I helped him cuff them so he didn't trip to and from the dressing room. Mom couldn't make up her mind between a nice three button gray and white pinstripe suit and a three button black and gray pinstriped suit. Since she couldn't make up her mind I placed both suits on one of their flat tables and selected 6 ties and a couple standard white Nordstrom shirts. She ended up going with 2 suits, 3 ties and 2 white shirts. Then I asked them if he had a pair of shoes to go with the suit. She said NO, of course, and then asked me for my recommendation. I told to go with black and leather based shoe and gave her a couple local store names that have reasonable prices. Finally I noticed another clerk behind the check out counter. I walked over to the clerk and asked his name. He replied.... with almost a question... Gus? I walked Gus over to Mom and Junior and introduced them. At this point everyone looked a bit confused so I told everyone I needed to leave for another meeting. I told Gus that Junior needed his suits fitted by the tailor and told his Mom that her son was going to be the most handsome man in the room on his special day. She thanked me for my help and followed Gus and Junior to the fitting area. I grabbed what was left of my coffee and head to the parking garage. I smiled from ear to ear.....why....I don't know...maybe I was happy helping Mom and Junior out....or a little giddy knowing that Gus would soon realize I wasn't an employee. I'm sure he won't be to upset since he will get credit for the sale. That was a great lunch!!! So what did I learn....if I end up sucking at sell financial product....I can sell suits...suits at Nordstrom’s.....or other stuff at Victoria Secret?

2 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

First of all, the comment you make "I find it easier to comply since I'm a master of locating and retrieving" Is SO right on when referring Mary "finding her way". I was surprised sometimes that she made it into work for so many years!!

Second, I can see you assisting mom and boy in the store..that's just the kind of guy you are. Helping the old lady carry her groceries, assisting the blind man find his way, sizing a lovely ladies BRA size in Penneys....Oh wait, you probably would be good at that, but not sure Mary would agree that that is your calling!

Loving your Blog!

~Karianne

Cheysu said...

I just don't think I can advocate a job for him at Victoria's Secret.
He'd hit on all the women by telling them how great his kids are. They eat that right up. :)